We use key metrics to measure and monitor our performance and progress managing sustainability risks. This data is presented by year or by country and easily downloaded as XLS or PDF spreadsheets.
Performance by Year
|Energy Use (trillion BTUs)|
|Greenhouse Gases (thousand tonnes)|
|CO2 from Operations||17,700||18,000||17,700||19,900||18,600|
|CO2 from Imported Electricity||1,000||1,100||1,200||1,500||1,300|
|Methane (CO2 equivalent)||1,700||1,600||1,900||5,300||6,100|
|Nitrous Oxide (CO2 equivalent)||100||100||100||100||100|
|Total Greenhouse Gases||20,500||20,800||20,900||26,800||26,100|
|Scope 1 Emissions (thousand tonnes CO2e)2|
|Total Scope 1 Emissions||19,500||19,700||19,700||25,300||24,800|
|Percent of Scope 1 Emissions Covered by Regulation||40%||41%||41%||33%||n/a|
|Greenhouse Gas Intensity (tonnes/MMBOE)||36,471||34,867||35,147||41,006||37,756|
|CO2e Per Dollars of Revenue (tonnes/$M) 4||0.63||0.57||0.72||1.13||0.87|
|Potential CO2e From Proved Reserves (million tonnes)||2,190||2,173||2,079||2,842||3,828|
|Methane Emitted as Percent of Natural Gas Production||0.23%||0.20%||0.22%||0.53%||0.53%|
|Methane Emitted as Percent of Total Hydrocarbon Production||0.09%||0.08%||0.09%||0.24%||0.24%|
|Percent of Scope 1 Emissions From Methane||9%||8%||10%||21%||25%|
|Flaring Volume (million cubic feet, routine and non-routine)||24,600||21,200||17,500||23,100||26,200|
|Other Air Emissions (tonnes)|
|Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)||69,900||69,200||62,700||93,100||97,900|
|Nitrogen Oxides (NOx)||35,000||36,100||33,900||57,200||88,500|
|Sulfur Oxides (SOx)||4,800||4,900||4,200||7,400||7,100|
|Particulate Matter (PM)||1,400||1,400||1,300||1,300||1,600|
|Water (million cubic meters)|
|Freshwater Withdrawn in Regions with High Baseline Water Stress 5||8%||7%||6%||11%||13%|
|Non-freshwater Withdrawn 6||51.3||49.2||47.1||42.8||50.1|
|Total Produced Water Recycled or Reused 7||82.3||78.9||81.1||73.5||78.7|
|Percent of Produced Water Recycled or Reused||66%||67%||69%||61%||64%|
|Percent of Produced Water Injected or Disposed||22%||17%||16%||13%||13%|
|Percent of Produced Water Discharged Offshore||12%||15%||15%||26%||22%|
|Hydrocarbons in Overboard Discharges (tonnes)||145||185||215||265||300|
|Water Intensity (barrels per BOE)|
|Unconventional Freshwater Consumption 8||0.22||0.28||0.28||0.20||0.16|
|Conventional Freshwater Consumption 9||0.05||0.04||0.06||0.04||0.05|
|Percent of Operated Area Overlapping With IUCN Protected Areas 10||0.25%||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Number of IUCN Protected Areas Near Operated Assets 10||7||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Habitat Areas Protected or Restored by ConocoPhillips 11||316,000||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Habitat Areas Protected or Restored by Supported Partnerships 11||5,900,000||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Number of Operated Assets with IUCN Red List Species 12||15||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Liquid Hydrocarbon Spills|
|Spills > 100 Barrels||2||5||2||3||8|
|Volume of Spills > 100 Barrels (barrels)||1,100||900||600||2,600||1,300|
|Spills > 1 Barrel||89||94||76||77||151|
|Volume of Spills > 1 Barrel (barrels)||1,800||1,500||1,500||3,400||3,000|
|Volume Recovered from Spills > 1 Barrel (barrels)||1,200||800||400||400||1,100|
|Arctic Spills > 1 Barrel||1||3||2||2||2|
|Volume of Arctic Spills > 1 Barrel (barrels) 13||2||5||5||21||3|
|Volume Recovered From Arctic Spills > 1 Barrel (barrels)||2||5||5||21||3|
|Total Waste Generated||431,300||363,600||318,300||428,000||337,500|
|Payments to Vendors and Suppliers ($ billion) 14||9.4||8.4||7.4||9.3||17.1|
|Shareholder Dividends ($ billion)||1.5||1.4||1.3||1.3||3.7|
|Capital Investments ($ billion)||6.6||6.8||4.6||4.9||10.1|
|Charitable Investments ($ million)||43.9||33.7||36.7||34.8||44.0|
|Safety (rate per 200,000 hours worked)|
|Workforce Fatalities (number)||1||0||0||0||0|
|Workforce Total Recordable Rate||0.14||0.17||0.17||0.18||0.20|
|Workforce Lost Workday Rate||0.03||0.05||0.04||0.05||0.05|
|Employee Total Recordable Rate||0.05||0.06||0.07||0.09||0.09|
|Employee Lost Workday Rate||0.03||0.03||0.02||0.04||0.02|
|Contractor Total Recordable Rate||0.18||0.20||0.22||0.23||0.24|
|Contractor Lost Workday Rate||0.03||0.06||0.06||0.06||0.06|
|Employees at Year-End||10,400||10,800||11,400||13,300||15,900|
|Employees - Women||26%||26%||26%||27%||27%|
|Top Leadership - Women||20%||19%||17%||17%||14%|
|All Leadership - Women||24%||22%||21%||21%||20%|
|Junior Leadership - Women||25%||23%||22%||21%||21%|
|Professional - Women||28%||28%||27%||28%||27%|
|Non-U.S. Top Leadership||31%||34%||30%||33%||31%|
|Non-U.S. Junior Leadership||50%||57%||53%||55%||57%|
|All Non-U.S. Leadership||47%||52%||49%||51%||52%|
|Additional Workforce Statistics (U.S.)|
|Employees - Minorities||24%||24%||23%||23%||23%|
|Top Leadership - Minorities||13%||11%||10%||10%||8%|
|All Leadership - Minorities||19%||18%||17%||16%||16%|
|Junior Leadership - Minorities||21%||20%||19%||18%||18%|
|Professional - Minorities||24%||23%||23%||22%||22%|
|EXPLORATION AND PRODUCTION|
|Average Daily Net Production16|
|Crude Oil (MBD)||705||653||599||598||605|
|Natural Gas (MMCFD)||2,805||2,774||3,270||3,857||4,060|
|Total Operated Production (MMBOE) 17||561||597||595||653||692|
|Total Proved Reserves at Year-End (billion BOE)||5||5||5||6||8|
|Percent of Proved Reserves in Corrupt Countries 18||4.4%||4.3%||4.6%||3.8%||3.0%|
- HSE data is based on assets where we have operational control. Environmental data is represented as 100% ownership interest regardless of actual share owned by ConocoPhillips with acquisitions and divestitures aligned with regulatory reporting requirements. To provide the most current and accurate data available, we have updated previously reported data for prior years as needed.
- Includes CO2 from operations, methane (CO2 equivalent), Nitrous Oxide (CO2 equivalent).
- Includes marine and aviation support operations.
- Scope 1 and scope 2 emissions divided by sales and other operating revenues.
- Based on World Resources Institute Aqueduct Risk Atlas water stress mapping layer as of December 31, 2019.
- Includes water withdrawn from saline/brackish groundwater aquifers and seawater.
- Includes produced water recycled for production (e.g. steam generation) or completions (e.g. hydraulic fracturing) and produced water reused for enhanced oil recovery.
- Calculated using RS Energy Group data for the average volume of freshwater (bbl) divided by the average estimated ultimate recovery (EUR, BOE) as of June 4, 2020. Intensity value may change as EUR data is updated.
- Calculated using the average volume of freshwater (bbl) divided by the average annual production (BOE).
- Operated lease area overlapping with IUCN I-VI protected areas based on Protected Planet World Database on Protected Areas accessed on December 31, 2019.
- Cumulative acreage includes impact avoidance, grassland and wetland restoration, habitat conservation, biodiversity offsets and voluntary conservation areas.
- Operated assets with species observed or known to occur based on IUCN Red List of Threatened Species mapping tool accessed on December 31, 2019.
- All but one of the Arctic releases over five years were to gravel pads.
- Payments to vendors and suppliers is an estimate based on Production and Operating Expenses and Capital Program.
- As of December 31, 2019.
- Production data is average daily net production from continuing operations.
- Data is normalized using barrels of oil equivalent (BOE) from production operations, including gas plant liquid production of ethane, propane, butane and condensate and LNG production from third-party gas not accounted for in production operations. For gas production, 6,000 standard cubic feet of gas is assumed to equal one BOE.
- In the 20 lowest ranked countries per Transparency International's Corruption Perception Index.
REFERENCE: UNITS OF MEASURE
MBD - Thousands of Barrels per Day
MBOED - Thousands of Barrels of Oil Equivalent per Day
MMCFD - Millions of cubic feet per day. Represents quantities available for sale and excludes gas equivalent of natural gas liquids.
MMBTU - Millions of British Thermal Units