Substance Abuse Policy
Our objective is to create and maintain an operating environment free of substance abuse. We believe that substance abuse increases the potential for accidents, absenteeism, substandard performance, and poor employee morale and health, as well as damage to the company’s reputation. The company has zero tolerance for violations of this policy and the employment of even first-time offenders will be terminated in accordance with relevant law.
To enforce this policy, we will:
- Implement a substance abuse testing program that subjects employees to random drug and alcohol screening.
- Require pre-employment drug testing of job applicants, and drug and alcohol testing of employees for reasonable suspicion/cause, post-accident situations, rehabilitation follow-up, and to verify return-to-duty eligibility post rehabilitation.
- Ensure that all employees are aware that this Policy covers improper use of prescription medications, as well as abuse of alcohol, illegal drugs and other substances that may alter an individual’s mood, perception, coordination, response, performance or judgment.
- Provide relevant training to raise employee awareness of substance abuse issues and the consequences for violation of this Policy.
- Provide employees who voluntarily disclose their substance abuse problems with opportunities for rehabilitation, where adequate facilities are available and it is feasible to do so.
- Offer internal or external resources, where available, to answer employees’ questions regarding the potential work related impact of over-the-counter or prescription medications.
- Communicate our commitment to this policy to our employees, contractors, and visitors and engage their support for creating and maintaining an environment that is free of substance abuse.
In those circumstances where government regulations, laws, or local practices impact the implementation of this policy, business unit leadership will develop and implement a country-specific Substance Abuse Policy that conforms to local requirements, after which the local policy will be included as an addendum to this policy. Applicants and employees will adhere to the Substance Abuse Policy addendum relevant to their country. We believe that the successful implementation of this Global Substance Abuse Policy will help ensure a continued safe, healthy and productive work environment.