Our goal is to respectfully engage with local stakeholders — those who impact or may be impacted by our business — to understand their values and interests, reduce the impact of our operations, and contribute to economic opportunities. By first listening to understand concerns, finding mutually agreeable solutions to mitigate these concerns with our actions and integrating those into planning and decision-making, we build long-term benefits for both the company and local stakeholders. Our approach to stakeholder engagement is guided by our principles and we:
- Proactively identify and seek out stakeholders.
- Include stakeholders in the design and implementation of the engagement process.
- Listen to understand stakeholders’ interests, concerns and culture.
- Communicate openly.
- Seek solutions that create mutually beneficial relationships and build long-term value for both the company and our stakeholders.
- Follow through on our commitments and stand accountable for the results, both internally and externally.
Stakeholder engagement is a key element of our Sustainable Development Position. Beyond stakeholders in the communities where we operate, we engage with government representatives, nongovernmental organizations, academic institutions, industry associations, and investors. In addition, we participate in multi-stakeholder forums to gain diverse and valuable perspectives as we continuously work to improve our sustainable development programs and initiatives.
Learn more about our broad range of stakeholders.
Social Performance Guidance
To support our business units in operationalizing our stakeholder engagement principles, we provide the following Social Performance Guidance with recommended internal processes and external engagement to understand and address stakeholder priorities including:
- Community Engagement: Identifying our stakeholders and how they may impact or be impacted by company activities.
- Human Rights: Assessing potential risks to stakeholders’ human rights, incorporating risks into planning and providing a grievance mechanism to remedy realized impacts.
- Indigenous Peoples: Consulting with Indigenous stakeholders to understand their culture, identify their priorities and work together to address them.
- Security and Human Rights: Implementing the Voluntary Principles on Security & Human Rights.
- Community and Social Investment: Aligning investments with community needs and company strategy.