Managing Risks & Opportunities
Managing risk and opportunities means:
- Developing fit-for-purpose solutions to appropriately manage water risks and opportunities for each asset within the local context
- Minimizing long-term risks through use of technology and innovation
- Fostering collaboration and coordination among asset teams that manage water
Progress on our multi-year plan includes:
|Managing Risks & Opportunities|
|Integrate resiliency planning for key assets with anticipated future changes in water availability|
|Review and update asset water risk assessments|
|Collaborate with stakeholder engagement team to identify and address questions and concern of local stakeholders regarding water risks for assets in water scarce regions|
|Increase collaboration between business units, technology and sustainable development to improve water management through technology innovation|
Our U.S. Lower 48 Water Leadership Team was formed to foster collaboration and coordination among all Lower 48 asset teams managing water. This team focuses on improving water management across Lower 48 with a focus on technology and innovation.
Technology & Innovation
Technology development investments are focused on the treatment of produced water, seawater or challenged water to reduce costs, enable reuse/recycling, optimize storage, leak detection and disposal and improve discharge water quality.
Our global Water Solutions team is managed out of our Global Water Sustainability Center, an applied research facility located in Doha, Qatar. In Qatar, the team focuses on desalination and development of advanced technologies for produced water reuse. We also operate a laboratory in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, that provides scientific, analytical and technical water treatment support.
Our Water Solutions Technology Toolbox serves as a knowledge-sharing hub that allows employees to access the latest information on water treatment technologies. The toolbox contains a series of technology primers that summarize how a technology can be applied for water treatment. Each primer includes:
- Technology description and technology readiness level
- Current and potential applications in the oil and gas industry
- Advantages and challenges
- Case studies describing internal research and full-scale experience